For nearly a century, The American Legion, Sons of The American Legion, and American Legion Auxiliary have worked steadfastly, side by side, promoting patriotism and national security while supporting youth and advocating for veterans and active-duty military personnel and families.
Posts Nationally and Internationally
Check out our activities
The L.L. Tillman Post 900 participates and hosts many meaningful events around Akron. Scroll through our posts and take a look!
Customary Dates To Fly Half-Staff/Mast
When to Display your Flag: In accordance with USC Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 6, the flag should be displayed, from sunrise to sunset, on all days when the weather permits, especially on:
- New Year's Day, January 1st
- Inauguration Day January 20th (variable if the date falls on a weekend)
- Martin Luther King's Birthday, Third Monday in January
- Lincoln's Birthday. February 12th
- Washington's Birthday, 3rd Monday on February
- National Vietnam War Veterans Day, March 29th
- Easter Sunday (variable)
- Mother's Day, Second Sunday in May.
- Armed Forces Day, Third Saturday in May
- Memorial Day (half-staff until noon), Last Monday in May
- Flag Day, June 14th
- Father's Day, third Sunday in June
- Independence Day, July 4th
- National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day, July 27th
- Labor Day, First Monday in September
- Constitution Day, September 17th
- Columbus Day, October 12th
- Navy Day, October 27th
- Veterans Day, November 11th
- Thanksgiving Day, Fourth Thursday in November
- Christmas Day, December 25th
- Election Days (various)
Federally observed dates of the above holidays which may be different from the actual dates.
Such days as may be proclaimed by the President of the United States.
State and Local Holidays.
- Peace Officers Memorial Day, May 15th, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day. (sunrise to sunset)
- Memorial Day, last Monday in May (sunrise to noon)
- Patriot Day, September 11th (sunrise to sunset)
- National Firefighters Memorial Day, October (typically a Sunday during Fire Prevention Week, which is around Oct. 9, and along with a memorial service held in Emmitsburg, MD)
- Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, December 7th (sunrise to sunset)